Tag Archives: Railroad and Train

Ninth & Green: Historic Commuting

5 Mar

The corner of Ninth and Green Streets once housed an active Philadelphia Reading Railroad station. Built in 1832, for more than fifty years this hub carried early suburban commuters from Germantown into the business core of Philadelphia. At the time this railroad station was erected commuter trains were still hauled by horses. In November of 1832 the very first steam train ever operated in Philadelphia covered the six miles between the Germantown and Green Street stations in twenty-eight minutes. By 1889 commuters abandoned the Green Street station in favor of the newly constructed Reading Terminal Station on Market Street. Over the years, this historic Philadelphia landmark has been left to ruin, isn’t there a place in Philly history for more than colonial era relics?

Advertisements